What to ExpectThe Proofreaders is a professional proofreading and editing company located in the USA; all work is done internally and never outsourced.
The Proofreaders’ Service Expectations
At The Proofreaders, we take great pride in establishing long-term relationships by consistently returning timely documents that have been proofread and/or edited with precision. Below is an explanation of the service expectations from The Proofreaders.
Service Expectations: Free Estimates
You Contact Us – Using our online contact form, e-mail, telephone, facsimile, or the United States Postal Service (USPS), you supply your project description and document(s) so we can estimate the editing and/or proofreading cost.
We Respond – During business hours (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm ET) within one to five hours after you contact us, you will receive an electronic reply from The Proofreaders. It will be an e-mail from our online billing system describing the cost to correct your document(s). During evening, weekend, or holidays this could take slightly longer.
You Accept – If you agree with our estimate, you “accept” it; if you don’t, you can just ignore it and your document will be deleted from our server. If you have questions, you can send us a note within the body of the estimate or send us an e-mail.
We Invoice – If you accept your estimate, you will immediately receive an invoice with payment instructions. You can pay online using our secured payments gateway; we accept most major credit cards and PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to pay with PayPal.
Service Expectations: How to Pay
- Online – Payments are usually made online through The Proofreaders’ electronic billing system which accepts most major credit cards, debit cards, and PayPal. This is a convenience to clients that enables fast turnaround time.
- By Check – Some clients have established credit with The Proofreaders and pay by check within 14 days of the Invoice date. Checks should be sent to:
The Proofreaders, LLC
842 Durham Road, Box 427
Penns Park, PA 18943
- Wire Transfer – Direct payments can be made from your bank or Western Union to The Proofreaders’ checking account. As bank fees are associated with this payment method, your account will be credited the actual amount received by The Proofreaders, which will be slightly less than the amount you sent.
- Bank routing number is: 021200339
Service Expectations: Receiving Your Corrections
- If your job was very large and a 50 percent deposit of the total Invoice was made, you will be notified when half of the documents are ready with a request for the balance.
- If your payment was in full, you will receive all of the corrected documents when ready.
What You’ll Receive
- Red-lined version – Each MS Word document will be red-lined, showing all corrections made (excluding PDF files).
- Accepted version – For each red-lined document, you will receive a corresponding MS Word version with the red-lined changes accepted. This will serve as the final version unless there are comments that the proofreader has made that need to be addressed. These will remain in the accepted version.
- PDF Files – Your original will be returned with comments or “sticky notes” inserted.
- Comments/General Notes – For other formats you will receive a separate MS Word document with “general notes” (or we will insert comments into your MS Word document). These comments/general notes will describe items in need of attention that the proofreader could not resolve. For example, if you refer to Harry’s wife as Sarah on page one and then Sally on page two, we have no way of knowing the correct name. Once you resolve these issues, you can delete the comments by right-clicking on them and selecting “delete.”
Your Security and Privacy
The Proofreaders respects your privacy and security.